Brinicles are the underwater equivalent of icicles. They form beneath ice when a flow of saline water is introduced to ocean water.
Volcanic plumes produce immense amounts of electrical charge and static. In rare cases, this can spark a violent lightning storm.
Sprites, Elves and Blue Jets
These colourful shapes are the result of electrical discharges in the atmosphere.
Fire Rainbows are formed by light reflecting from ice crystals in high level clouds. The halos are so large, they often appear parallel to the horizon.
These rainbows form in fog, rather than rain. The condensation reflects little light, and as a result, the rainbow is made up of very weak colors - like white - rather than the vibrant colors of a traditional rainbow.
Fire whirls are whirlwinds of flame. They occur when intense heat and turbulent wind conditions combine.
At the mouth of the Catatumbo River in Venezuela, a very unique mass of storm clouds swirl, creating the rare spectacle known as Catatumbo lightning. The storm occurs up to 160 nights a year, 10 hours per day and 280 times an hour.
Moonbows are rainbows produced by light reflected off the surface of the moon, rather than the sun. Due to the small amount of light reflected off the moon, moonbows are quite faint.
A glory is an optical phenomenon, similar to a rainbow, that resembles a halo. It occurs when light tunnels through air inside rain droplets and emit the light backwards. Yes, that’s as crazy as it sounds.
Waterspouts are vortexes, which occur over a body of water. No water is sucked in and the sprout is made entirely from water given off by condensation.
Morning Glory clouds are incredibly rare, so much so, that we don’t know what causes them. They’re most commonly seen at fall in the small town of Burketown in Australia.
Lenticular clouds are lens-shaped clouds that form when moist air flows over a mountain and piles into large and layered clouds. Due to their strange shape, these clouds are often mistaken for UFOs.
Penitentes are tall, thin blades of hardened snow and ice that form at high altitudes. At such a height, the sun’s rays are able to turn ice into water vapor without melting it first. Some areas randomly turn into vapor more quickly than others, forming depressions in the smooth surface. Over time, they transform into jagged fields which face the same direction as the sun.
Supercells are the rarest and most dangerous type of storms. While they are formed just like other storms, the vertical rotation of their updraft means that they can sustain themselves for far longer.
Frost flowers are formed when sap in the stem of plants freezes and expands, cracking the stem. Water then draws through the cracks and freezes upon contact with the air, eventually forming exquisite patterns.
Sun dogs are an atmospheric phenomenon that occur when ice crystals cause light to appear brighter when the sun is at a certain angle.
Mammatus clouds are cloud pouches that form and hang underneath the base of a cloud. When air and clouds holding different levels of moisture mix, the heavier one sinks below the lighter.
Snow donuts are formed when chunks of snow are blown along the ground by wind, picking up material along the way. The inner layers are weak and can easily blow away, leaving a donut.
Belt of Venus
The Belt of Venus is a pink glowing arch seen across the sky when the shadow of the Earth’s translucent atmosphere casts a shadow back upon itself.
Asperatus Clouds were only classified in 2009. As a result, we know little about them other than the fact that they look amazing.
- mishabelita reblogged this from beben-eleben
- pascalpussycat reblogged this from renonvesir
- pascalpussycat likes this
- imacutetalkingfishbone likes this
- roleplaywithgummyandpixie reblogged this from lightningsfury
- yupyupyup182 likes this
- thoughtfoxes reblogged this from beben-eleben
- itsmejaii likes this
- makuta-of-stelt likes this
- pictusdog likes this
- dojhan reblogged this from demitsorou
- dojhan likes this
- dudhead15 likes this
- 3odd likes this
- snarkcentral reblogged this from suddenlyoranges
- snarkcentral likes this
- vixon-makran likes this
- demitsorou reblogged this from themugbearer
- themugbearer likes this
- themugbearer reblogged this from suddenlyoranges
- saranghaeloveamor likes this
- grand-fantasy reblogged this from beben-eleben
- djelli13 reblogged this from isosayaka117
- djelli13 likes this
- suddenlyoranges reblogged this from isosayaka117
- ask-kitty-amitiel-angel likes this
- the-beastmachine likes this
- h0zay reblogged this from beben-eleben
- singullarity likes this
- strawberrypirates reblogged this from jewishhairporn
- firstbrokenheart likes this
- mrs-ezramichaelkoenig likes this
- whatsintheboooox likes this
- jewishhairporn reblogged this from lightningsfury
- twinniexoxo reblogged this from beben-eleben
- twinniexoxo likes this
- mymysterylamb likes this
- rebusraven reblogged this from tomhiddlesun
- rebusraven likes this
- dattycake reblogged this from tomhiddlesun
- random-toria reblogged this from loudlyawesome
- exidiem likes this
- thedavedepot likes this
- yknowitseeysha likes this
- myafricanpersuasion likes this
- tweedledean-and-tweedlesam reblogged this from trust-me-im-the-editor
- alwaystakeatoweltoaparty likes this
- bartons-bitch reblogged this from goddammit-barton
- roboticore reblogged this from haley-the-dragon