The secret to getting a solid 7 to 8 hours? About 90 minutes before you want to nod off, head for the kitchen and make yourself a sleepy-time snack. Keep it light (around 200 calories), so you don’t overload your digestive system. And include one or two foods from the list below. All help to relax tense muscles, quiet buzzing minds, and/or get calming, sleep-inducing hormones — serotonin and melatonin — flowing. Yawning yet?
1. Bananas — They’re practically a sleeping pill in a peel. In addition to a bit of soothing melatonin and serotonin, bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant.
2. Chamomile tea — Chamomile is a staple of bedtime tea blends because of its mild sedating effect, which makes it the perfect natural antidote for restless minds and bodies.
3. Warm milk — It’s not a myth. Milk has some tryptophan, an amino acid that has a sedative-like effect, and calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan. Plus, there’s the psychological throwback to infancy, when a warm bottle meant “relax, everything’s fine.”
4. Honey — Drizzle a little in your warm milk or herb tea. Lots of sugar is stimulating, but a little glucose tells your brain to turn off orexin, a recently discovered neurotransmitter that’s linked to alertness.
5. Potatoes — A small baked spud won’t overwhelm your gastrointestinal tract as it clears away acids that can interfere with yawn-inducing tryptophan. To up the soothing effect, mash the potato with warm milk.
6. Oatmeal — Oats are a rich source of sleep-inviting melatonin, and a small bowl of warm cereal with a splash of maple syrup is cozy — and if you’ve got the munchies, it’s filling, too.
7. Almonds — A handful of these heart-healthy nuts can send you snoozing because they contain both tryptophan and a nice dose of muscle-relaxing magnesium.
8. Flaxseeds — When life goes awry, and feeling down is keeping you up, try sprinkling 2 tablespoons of these healthy little seeds on your bedtime oatmeal. They’re rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a natural mood lifter.
9. Whole-wheat bread — A slice of toast with your tea and honey will release insulin, which helps tryptophan get to your brain, where it’s converted to serotonin and quietly murmurs “time to sleep.”
10. Turkey — It’s the best-known source of tryptophan, credited with all those Thanksgiving naps. But that’s actually modern folklore. Tryptophan works when your stomach’s basically empty rather than overstuffed and when there are some carbs around rather than tons of protein. But put a lean slice or two on some whole-wheat bread midevening and you’ve got one of the best sleep-inducers in your kitchen.
(Source: beben-eleben)Via Reblogging http://beben-eleben.tumblr.com
- yknowitseeysha likes this
- sooominty likes this
- ikendoodle likes this
- jongin-and-sunshine likes this
- wassupsapsapelililililingli likes this
- stillmeonlybetter likes this
- danavigator likes this
- ahhlley likes this
- extiiine likes this
- 365daysofreachingmygoals reblogged this from beben-eleben
- magmamahalsayo likes this
- iminshayne reblogged this from beben-eleben
- iveeengmakulit likes this
- selosnaselosnako reblogged this from beben-eleben
- realitysuckslikeyoushit likes this
- superaejeyy likes this
- hannahyuuupak reblogged this from beben-eleben
- sarcasticweird reblogged this from beben-eleben
- sarcasticweird likes this
- imissyoumahal18 reblogged this from beben-eleben
- sheisbeb likes this
- biubiux likes this
- parapraxium likes this
- vincentchosen likes this
- tynseniger likes this
- kissme-inthepouringrain likes this
- unheardecho likes this
- katrabelleza likes this
- alaskajaneyoung reblogged this from beben-eleben
- alaskajaneyoung likes this
- odarapmased likes this
- ohlivelight likes this
- nikkaie reblogged this from beben-eleben
- g0ngoozle likes this
- iamdyepoi likes this
- l0tus-blooms likes this
- kunewho likes this
- hoesareyourenemy likes this
- surrbeans reblogged this from beben-eleben
- surrbeans likes this
- normallyyabnormal likes this
- spoonfacedpig likes this
- jellymaria likes this
- ncyll likes this
- wtf-ceeige likes this
- chateeey likes this
- babaengluma-lablayp reblogged this from beben-eleben
- ifiweretofallinlove likes this
- markfarroyo likes this
- dopeyjune likes this